isheries management at the ecosystem level requires a multi-pronged approach
to define actions needed to achieve the expected results. The FISH Project
uses a combination of growth, control and maintenance mechanisms adapted
for implementation in each of the four target areas through active engagement
of national and local stakeholders. It provides technical assistance to
stakeholder groups in the four target areas to implement the following
fisheries management mechanisms:
- Growth mechanisms to enhance fisheries production
and marine ecosystem integrity.
- Encourage environment-friendly economic development
and revenue-generating mechanisms such as marine ecotourism, user-fee
system and appropriate aquaculture.
Control mechanisms to allocate access to fisheries
and coastal resources.
- Identify restrictions on fishing gear, fish
size limits, fishing areas and seasons to achieve sustainable fishing
based on the results of the baseline assessment, critical threats analysis,
and stakeholder planning.
- Register fishers and issue licenses for fishing
vessels and gear (municipal and commercial) based on estimated sustained
yield of fish stocks.
- Establish licensing system supported by legislation
for commercial fishing vessels to operate in areas where sustainable
yields of fish stocks can be expected and regulated.
- Train coastal law enforcement units to enforce
fisheries and other coastal resource-related laws.
Maintenance mechanisms to improve institutional
capacity for fisheries and coastal resource management.
- Develop ecosystem-based fisheries management
program to address critical threats to fisheries and other coastal resources.
- Cluster local government units into viable
fisheries and coastal resource management units in association with
interagency and multisectoral collaborative mechanisms for planning,
implementation and enforcement.
- Assist stakeholders integrate population and
reproductive health programs in fisheries management.
- Identify appropriate and efficient market-based
incentives for compliance and investments in sustainable fisheries.
- Promote public-private partnerships for fisheries